During the run up to World War 2 there was an initiative to document buildings of historical interest that might be in danger of being destroyed.
Car set about painting windmills in the south and east of England — about 120. This provides a wonderful record of these structures, many which have been lost since or their character drastically altered. She sometimes sketched in the figures of people, indicating the lives lived around the mills.
- Bedfordshire windmills
- Buckinghamshire windmills
- Cambridgeshire windmills
- Essex windmills
- Hertfordshire windmills - Little Hadham
- Isle of Wight windmills - Bembridge
- Kent windmills
- Lincolnshire windmills
- Norfolk windmills
- Oxfordshire windmills - Great Haseley
- Suffolk windmills
- Surrey windmills - Shiremark
- Sussex windmills
- Warwickshire windmills - Burton Dassett